NHS Pension Scheme Proposals - FAQsWhat the proposed new NHS pension scheme could mean for you:
Full guide - PDF
Short guide - PDF
NHS Pensions ballot - FAQs
- What are the basic proposals in a nutshell?
- What does UNISON recommend?
- What will happen next?
- When would the new scheme come into effect?
- What about my service in the old scheme?
- What is a Career Average Revalued Earnings (CARE) scheme?
- What does a 1/54th accrual rate actually mean?
- What is a "revaluation rate" and why does it matter?
- What would a 1/54th CARE Scheme mean for you?
- What would happen to my retirement age?
- What does full protection mean and who does it apply to?
- What is tapered protection and who does it apply to?
- What is pension protection for transferred staff and why is it important?
- Could I opt-out of "protection" if I think I would be better off doing so?
- In light of the proposed new scheme, would there be a further chance to move benefits from 1995 section to 2008 section prior to introduction of the new scheme?
- How do we know there wouldn't be more changes to the scheme in the future?
- What about Mental Health Officer Status - what is being done about them losing "double years"?
- Could I pay more if I want to retire earlier than my normal retirement age?
- What will happen to my pension if I simply leave the scheme?
- If I join the new section and subsequently leave NHS employment what would be my position if I want to return to the NHS?
- Could I carry on contributing to my existing Added Years or Additional Pension contract on moving to the new section?
- Could my dependants still receive a lump sum payment and pension in the event of my death?
- Would I still be protected in the event of suffering from ill health?
- What's happening in Scotland?
- How will we get a say on these proposals?
- Where do I get more detail? How will it affect me?